chill wizard? ?

Cleanliness is next to Godliness
wookie
Hydrometer Jar

chill wizard? ?

Post by wookie » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:25 am

So.. a lot of my beers have had the rubber band taste to them.... I'm not sure where the infection is coming from.. I use star San before and after every use and pressure wash all the ports the same... not sure if it is my CW or something else... I clean everything I would think pretty good but I'm stumped... going to replace all my tubing and bleach/Pbw all the rest of my fermenting equipment? Anyone else have this problem and/or fixed it??? :x

mchrispen
Pint Glass

chill wizard? ?

Post by mchrispen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Do a batch and use Campden tablets. Rubber band is likely chlorophenals from residual chlorine or chloramines. I back flush my chiller and run some PBW and Star San and have none of the issues you describe, starting from RO water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
--
http://www.accidentalis.com - blog

wookie
Hydrometer Jar

Re: chill wizard? ?

Post by wookie » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:40 pm

That prob was it... started using a filter and cam tabs.. I use to get a few 5 gallon jugs of water from the store..
the "bad" batches were mostly from before that... but one was not... and the other batch was a fuck up (didn't put anything in the air lock).. I do think I probably need to clean my CW better.. so I'll see when my next batch is ready to rack...
thanks for the advice

troy.rassmussen
Hydrometer Jar

Re: chill wizard? ?

Post by troy.rassmussen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:10 pm

I had a string of bad batches this summer and found it to be either the beer gods punishing me or choloramine from my local water supply. I choose to believe it was the water supply and have used campden tabs.....problem solved afterwards, so if you're having this issue I'd say mchrispen is on point.