Water everywhere!?

Cleanliness is next to Godliness
wookie
Hydrometer Jar

Water everywhere!?

Post by wookie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Maybe its because I'm still new to my Sabco {used 4 times} but I get drenched and so does my garage, am I just being sloppy or does everyone have this problem?? I usually hook up a hose to the plumbing on it and flush the lines out... I didn't like doing the clean in place method, I didn't think it cleaned it enough.. Anyone got any tips or am I just being a slop? Thanks!
Brian - Hexen Brauen Ale Company

mchrispen
Pint Glass

Re: Water everywhere!?

Post by mchrispen » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:34 pm

I can make a mess if I am not careful, and it can make the floor dangerously slippery. I am in a garage, so occasionally roll the system out and wash it down outside. I need to redo the floor enamel with some sand additive to make this a bit more workable. I do see the occasional drip from a not quite tightened TC clamp.

The biggest issue for me seems relative to moving hoses, particularly when chilling (and I usually need to use a pre-chiller in ice). My ChillWizard leaks a bit, and I need to reassemble (again) with new plumbing tape-didn't do a very good job.. I put a puppy pad under it - and that keeps most of the puddling under control. I also seem to spill/spray too much when filling the HLT - and am building a little PEX faucet that I can attach to the kettle.

When cleaning after (or during) the brewday, I usually only focus on the MLT - muck it out with a large wet dry vac. Rinse and wipe down the interior, and pull the dip tube and false bottom. A couple of simple rinses and I can vac out all of the residual malt, and give the FB a good scrub. I do fill the MLT with a few gallons of cold clean water and recirculate - then drain, and leave the dump valve open. That seems to get the worst out, and takes about 5-10 minutes at worst.

I am still experimenting with the CIP lid. I have been doing this between brews with longer runs with caustic and then an acid rinse. Because my pressure is lower, a much longer CIP cycle needs to happen... but it comes out pretty clean.
Matt Chrispen
--
http://www.accidentalis.com - blog

wookie
Hydrometer Jar

Post by wookie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:37 pm

Thanks! I'll try my shop vac and CIP again.. my chill-wizard does the same thing I have quick connections installed on it and wrapped in plumbing tap.. it cut back water loss a lot but still leaks. Ill try a few other things I had in mind and let ya know how they work out.. I'm usually 10 batches in by now and thought id have a better water system installed by now, but winter will not let up in northwest indiana this year!
Thanks for the advice!
Brian

HopMonster
Pint Glass

Post by HopMonster » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:56 am

Trust the CIP. The biggest issue is watching hoses when you pump at weird angles (i.e., recirc @ the BK), that is when a hose breaks free and sprays down my place.

wookie
Hydrometer Jar

Post by wookie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think (well know) I'm rushing my cleaning now, so I'll try a few of the suggestions and see how it works out... I'd love to be able to brew in my spare room, but gotta be less messy.

wookie
Hydrometer Jar

Post by wookie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:34 pm

Ok, so I just brewed my Black IPA and I used my shop vac to clean the MT...it worked great but I still was hesitant to clean in place.. Prior to brewing I took apart the thermometer and heating element to see if they had got gunked up....It was as clean as the day I got it... Back to the MT it was super fast vac'n it but still thought their was to much grain from what the vac wouldn't get so I didn't cycle the cleaner through it... Still took the kegs off, scrubbed and cleaned them plus having to clean out the shop vac also... Back to cleaning the system and CW, I Simply spayed cleaner hooked my hose up to the tubes and blasted away (kept the ball valves on so I didn't soak everything like I normally do) works great!! all the leftover wort and gunk gets shot out the dump valve. I also did this with the CW, worked good but got pretty wet.. The day went well didn't get as wet as I have before.... Don't know if im going to use the vac again cuz it's just one more thing to clean..

Brian :D

HopMonster
Pint Glass

Post by HopMonster » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:43 pm

ShopVac is king! You always need to pull down the MT & BK to do a scrub.