Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:02 pm 

Hi all,
I am brewing up a pumpkin beer this weekend using fresh pumpkin. I am wondering if I should use the BM or if I should play it safe and go with my old Insulated mash tun. I will be using fresh pumpkin, about 4 pounds that I will roast in the oven until cooked, yet still firm, then put it directly in the mash. I am hoping, or thinking, that if it is not cooked to mush and I keep it in larger chunks, it may not cause as much of an issue with the mash. Do any of you have any experience with this? I saw another thread on here about pumpkin beer, but that was using puree. I will be adding 1 pound of Rice Hulls as well.

I dont want to gum up the works. Will the pumpkin break down in the mash and screw up the system? Has anyone had any attempts similar to this, using pumpkin, squash, sweet potato, or any other starchy veggies in their mash using the BM RIMS system? If so, any suggestions, warnings or what not. I think my concern is more with causing problems with the pump and RIMS as opposed to a stuck mash

thanks,
J

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:19 pm 
Pint Glass

I did this long ago. I roasted the pumpkin in chunks and added it to the mash. It was a huge mess, but the stringy pumpkin held together. It did add some form of starch or such to the final product which lended to a serious haze issue, like a proper hefe. Anyway, the pumpkin only adds sugar, so skip pumpkin and add some malts that adds body and color with the pumpkin spices and no one will ever guess (care) if it is a true gourd brew).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:55 pm 
Pint Glass

Quote:
Anyway, the pumpkin only adds sugar, so skip pumpkin and add some malts that adds body and color with the pumpkin spices and no one will ever guess (care) if it is a true gourd brew).

x2 ;)

-Hooch