Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loss of suction
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:44 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

After 4 years with our BrewMagic and many messes we now use a Hudson float valve (high temp) for all fresh water filling, we just set it on top of the HLT turn the water on and we can walk away without a flood when we get busy doing 3 other things!

We brew in the rear of a business condo with no floor drain and mostly finished walls....messes are catastrophic. I am not sure if the CIP method you mentioned means you never dismount any kettles or not? We Preclean with 1step @ 160F and capture that after chill wizard purge in 5 gallon buckets for brew day cleaning of fermenters and various utensils. Once MT is vacuumed out we dismount and pressure wash outside, same for BK after boil then we circulate our PBW solution @ 160F typically with a longer hose in a loop from CW back to BK while cleaning the area up and then a fresh water rinse in the same fashion. This is pretty lengthy BUT it is worth it!

We have had issues with leaking gaskets (mostly air causing loss of suction) but those were resolved by Bob and his team @ Sabco a year ago. It was determined that constant torquing of the TC and the higher cleaning temps was destroying the black rubber gaskets so the solution was the white Teflon gaskets. I am a little OCD and besides some sweating/condensation off the heat exchanger on the CW (after ice bath chilling) most brew days are neat and clean these days.

Thanks for the site it's great to see and hear how others enjoy their BrewMagics!

Jim

Post subject: Re: Water everywhere!?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:04 pm 
Pint Glass

Twoguysale wrote:
We have had issues with leaking gaskets (mostly air causing loss of suction) but those were resolved by Bob and his team @ Sabco a year ago. It was determined that constant torquing of the TC and the higher cleaning temps was destroying the black rubber gaskets so the solution was the white Teflon gaskets.

Aw man! I've been dealing with losing prime during the sparge for many years now. Where did you find teflon gaskets? On a hunch, I got these silicone gaskets but I haven't brewed with them yet.
http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Sanitary-or-TriClamp-Clear-Silicone-Gasket_p_154.html

Cheers,
Hooch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:17 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Hooch,

Just curious, how old is your BM? I got the first Teflons from Bob @ Sabco. I am away from my notes now but I think the newest Teflons came from
https://www.brewershardware.com/home.php(call them because I don't think they list them in catalog)
I tried the silicone gaskets as well. They shared the same weak link as the rubber ones being they are soft and susceptible to heat and the squeezing of that TC fitting.

The real cause of the problem at least on my BM was there was no baffle on the burner plate below the outlet of the HLT so during burner firing that gasket was really getting cooked and each time we would crank down the TC and after a few sessions the ID of that rubber gasket was about 3/16" and soon we had almost no circulation in the MT, so I got SS rings from Sabco and had them welded into the burner plates locally. I think the combination of the baffles and the Teflon gaskets has resolved our suction issues BUT it was a long hard battle.

If I could figure out how to post pictures I would give you a better visual of before and after.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:31 am 
Pint Glass

Twoguysale wrote:
Hooch,

Just curious, how old is your BM?

Sept 2008 model, so about 5 1/2 yrs young.

Quote:
I am away from my notes now but I think the newest Teflons came from
https://www.brewershardware.com/home.php(call them because I don't think they list them in catalog)
I tried the silicone gaskets as well. They shared the same weak link as the rubber ones being they are soft and susceptible to heat and the squeezing of that TC fitting.

I see. So then the telfon gaskets are harder, not as soft I gather. I found them on that site, I'll order up a bunch for my next brew day.

Quote:
The real cause of the problem at least on my BM was there was no baffle on the burner plate below the outlet of the HLT so during burner firing that gasket was really getting cooked and each time we would crank down the TC and after a few sessions the ID of that rubber gasket was about 3/16" and soon we had almost no circulation in the MT, so I got SS rings from Sabco and had them welded into the burner plates locally. I think the combination of the baffles and the Teflon gaskets has resolved our suction issues BUT it was a long hard battle.

That's interesting, I have a baffle under the HLT, but on the control box side. It's a good idea to shield the HLT outlet from excessive heat. How much did it cost to get the baffle and have it soldered?

Quote:
If I could figure out how to post pictures I would give you a better visual of before and after.

Posting pictures is easier than you think. You'll just need to host or post them on a foto site like picassa, photobucket, snapfish, etc then copy the pictures' url and paste it here using the "Img" tag above. Good luck, and thanks for all the information.

Cheers,
Hooch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:51 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Hooch,

Sorry for the delayed response. Our BM has the painted metal baffle on the control panel side but more specifically the issue was during burner firing our burner plates did not have the solid SS ring the full perimeter of the plate. There were just selective spots where they were welded in and one of the spots that was left vulnerable to the extreme heat was under the HLT outlet and ball valve.

I did figure out the picture hosting I think so check it out.( I just finished a little exhaust ducting so I had to show it off, hopefully it will take it down below 100F on those summer brew days!)

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/jharv ... ewMagic%20

What they did at my request was to saw off the square pieces that extended into the center and just tacked the full rings into place. I really don't recall $$$ amounts for the rings but Bob was very fair with me and I knew it was cheaper than buying new burner plates!

Jim

Post subject: Re: Loss of suction
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:10 am 
Pint Glass

I have had this problem for years! I guess I willget some too. Question is, because I am sitting at work, our tri-clamps's are 1/2 inch, right???

Post subject: Re: Loss of suction
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:20 am 
Pint Glass

http://www.brewershardware.com/.5-Tri-C ... ASKET.html

These are what you are looking for... I think. They also sell the black food grade rubber ones (Buna-M) and silicon.