Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:34 pm 

Does anyone know how to calibrate the V350 digital thermoprobe? I tested mine today and it appears to be reading 3 degrees warmer than it should be.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:56 pm 
Pint Glass

I don't know that you can. I do know that the display has a hidden settings page for calibrating the xy coordinates, for more precise finger accuracy on the touchscreen. To activate the settings screen, press and hold your finger in any area of the touchscreen. Perhaps there is something there for you to tweak the thermoprobe, good luck.

Hooch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:12 pm 

According to Sabco, you can't calibrate the temperature on the controller. They suggest replacing the thermoprobe. My BM is less than 3 years old and apparently the warranty doesn't cover this. -Which annoys me. How do you wear out a non-moving part.

They also suggest sending the entire digital controller in for a firmware update to retrofit a RTD (resistance temp detector). I don't know how this is any better but apparently this is what they are installing now. It requires the customer remove the controller (PLC) and forward to Sabco for reprogramming and testing with the new RTD. The RTD retrofit probe is online at $89. Add $45 to reprogram & test and $18.50 to return ship. Total retrofit. 134 & UPS. No idea if it is worth it.

I bought a thermapen to test my temps...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:39 pm 
Pint Glass

For that kind of cash, you may be better off just subtracting 3º degrees off your mash temp(s).

They say that small numbers don't matter in the presence of consistency ;)

Hooch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hooch wrote:
For that kind of cash, you may be better off just subtracting 3º degrees off your mash temp(s).

They say that small numbers don't matter in the presence of consistency ;)

Hooch

+1

Just keep it consistent and you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:18 pm 

I can certainly do that, but my concern is that if it's now off by 3 degrees, what if it's off by 5 tomorrow..or even worse -jumps all over the place.

I ordered another thermocouple probe from Sabco and will install it before next brew day. Sabco was very kind to me over the holiday and fixed my pump for free. Of course I'm a giant idiot and over tightened the outlet fitting which completely stripped the threads. I ended up finding the pump part for about $30 shipped on line so it wasn't too bad. -Just a bad month for the Ole BM.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:55 am 
Pint Glass

Hey OneEyedGiant,

Did the new thermoprobe fix your +3ºF problem? Did you send the PLC to Sabco? If so, what was the outcome?

Just wondering.

-Hooch