Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:28 pm 

Has anyone modified their burners to include windscreens or has anyone replaced their burners with ones with higher output?

I have a 2009 Brew Magic, which has the same size burner for everything. I understand that on the newer models, at least the boil kettle burner is of a higher output. Getting to a boil takes around 30-40 minutes on mine and it is so loud that I can barely hear people talk around it. I like to have people over when I'm brewing and I don't like to wait around for a pot of sugar water to boil.

So what do you guys got?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:39 pm 
Pint Glass

I have the same ones you describe; but I run mine via NG (natural gas).

Just an idea, in case you're not doing it already -you may want to turn on the flame on the BK as soon as you start sparging. Yesterday I hit the hot break before I was done sparging.

Also, I was getting a lot of soot on the bottom of the HLT and BK, Bob from Sabco had me remove the air dampers, and clean the kettles with Barkeeper's Friend. I say this because the dampers are not that necessary incase you don't have them.

I also recall folks complaining about the newer burners saying that they took longer to boil then the older style we have.

Just my two cents,
Hooch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:51 pm 

I have a 2009 BM as well, and I use the stock burners that came on it. Once I have a few gallons of wort in the kettle, I'll fire up the flame. I won't put the flame up at where I'll run it once I'm doing my full boil, but I'll get a flame going and as the volume of wort increases I'll jack the flame up. Once I have my pre-boil quantity in the kettle, the wort will be pretty close to a boil and I don't have long to wait. You just want to be sure you have a decent quantity (3 gallons or so I'd say) in the BK before you fire up the burner to avoid any scorching or caramelization issues. My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:34 am 

I Just got this one with the old burners, square pipes with a outlet at the bottom.It was originally NG and i just bought the regulator hose for LP that is adjustable all the way to 30psi. Since i am Upgrading which burners would you recommend? Image

This one for BK
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYTG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and this for HLT, MLT
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYT6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or this one?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYSW?keywords=propane%20burners&qid=1453901536&ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:06 pm 
Pint Glass

I think the burner in your first and second link is the correct upgrade if you want the current BM burners on the kettle. Although they are high pressure ones which should pair well with your high pressure regulator. SABCO's current regulator and burners are low pressure, but so long as the burners and regulator pressures match, it shouldn't be a problem.

This from the SABCO site:
Three well chosen cast low pressure burners for even dispersion of heat to your kettles. These are mix air adjustable for the perfect blue flame. Quiet and soot free. The lower deck (boil kettle) has a powerful 10″ burner and the two upper deck burners are both 6″ diameter.

Good luck and please post before and after pictures.

Cheers,
Hooch