Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Do You Clean It
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:34 am 
Hydrometer Jar

Well I waited for someone else to ask but how do you clean your BM system?

Post subject: Re: How Do You Clean It
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:52 am 

I add PBW to the HLT with 130F water or higher. Once I'm done with the sparge, I dump the MLT (I know some people use their wet vac for this, and I've tried that, but for me it doesn't seem like it's that much of a time or energy saver because you still have to deal with the grain in your wet vac), scrub it out and put it back on the system, then back fill some of the PBW water from the HLT and pump the rest over. I'll then recirc that for a bit. I do this during the boil, so when the boil is done, I already have 1/2 the cleaning done. Once boil is done and I've transferred, I'll take the BK off and spray it out good and then scrub with some PBW. Once I have it nice a clean, I'll put it back on the system and run the PBW water over from the MLT and then out of the BK. I always take the kettles off and dump any residual water out. Then I'll open all the valves and the dump valve to completely drain the system. I store it with all the valves open until my next brew.

The day before brew day, I'll heat up 6 - 8 gallons of water in the HLT and add Sani-clean, low foaming sanitizer from 5 Star. I'll heat this up to 130F or so and then back fill to the MLT and pump the rest over, then recirc before running it over to the BK and out.

I'll then run carbon filtered water into my HLT until it's full. Put the system in my garage and drop my bucket heater in the HLT. I have the bucket heater plugged into a timed outlet that I have kick on about 4 hours before I go out to brew in the morning. My water will be at 150F or higher typically when I come out to brew. Saves me some time in the morning as I don't have to heat the water up much more from there to begin mashing.

I always remember something that Shaun O'Sullivan said on the Brewing Network, "Clean after brewing, Sanitize before." I live by that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:26 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

I do exactly everything the same way you do as described in your first paragraph but I found it interesting that you sanitize the system, I was taught that anything before the BK only had to be cleaned because anything during the boil would be killed?
And I really like the bucket heater idea just brilliant my water is always 50 degrees so it always takes a while to heat up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:02 am 

Meegs,
I do everything you are doing ,the same way, except after the PBW wash I rinse with my filtered water. Am I wasting my time with that rinse? I just thought there would be residual chemical from the PBW.
Thanks for any replies.
Crasher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:25 am 
Taster

My process is similar as well. I would run sanitizer too, just to prevent smells. However, this last brew a friend recommended heating the PBW solution to 180F and circulate for 10min, which seemed to work well.
Does anyone remove the heAting element on a regular basis for cleaning?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:52 pm 

After cleaning with PBW, I also rinse before storing my BM. Then preboil I also run star san also. Am I wasting my time rinsing after the PBW wash?
Crasher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:04 am 
Hydrometer Jar

Scratchy1971 wrote:
My process is similar as well. I would run sanitizer too, just to prevent smells. However, this last brew a friend recommended heating the PBW solution to 180F and circulate for 10min, which seemed to work well.

I remove my heating element every 5 brews and clean it seems to work for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:14 pm 

I understand why you all rinse after the PBW recirc, but I figured once I drain the system and I run my Saniclean http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/SanicleanTech1.pdf recirc prior to my next brew, it really wasn't necessary to run the rinse cycle. So far I haven't found any issue with doing it this way, but again, I know why you all are doing it and I used to do it too. I'm sure it can't hurt and probably helps, but I'm not having any issues without it, so I don't do it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:16 pm 

Quote:

I occasionally remove the element and clean it, but I'm always amazed at how it really doesn't seem to need it. It really stays pretty darn clean.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:31 pm 
Taster

meegs wrote:
Quote:

I occasionally remove the element and clean it, but I'm always amazed at how it really doesn't seem to need it. It really stays pretty darn clean.

Just removed mine after a few sessions, and it was very clean also. There were a few pieces of mushy grain that the element seemed to have trapped. I have an SS cap that will fit the opening. Thinking I will remove the element, put on the cap and run some hot tap water through the system and see what comes out.