Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:54 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

That is exactly what I have been doing, and I finally got it right on the last time I did it. I found the trick I was forgetting was to open the valve on the fermenter. :o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:23 am 
Hydrometer Jar

whamolagan wrote:
That is exactly what I have been doing, and I finally got it right on the last time I did it. I found the trick I was forgetting was to open the valve on the fermenter. :o

great stuff. While the BM is really simple it does take some experience to manage little things that can make your brewday so much smoother.

Last edited by Goose on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:50 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Good to know. I have not yet had the luxury of dealing with a stuck sparge...yet. So thanks for the heads up. I am having various other issues with the thing. Leaky sight glass, a bad gas valve, the computer doesn't beep to tell me about my hop additions and that stupid bleeder valve. That bleeder valve is a horrible design. For one there should never be any brass parts that come in contact with the wort. Brass when heated up, especially when the ph is low, leeches lead. That went into the scrap pile and replaced with a SS one.

A wet vac is a necessity and way worth the 50 bucks. makes clean up so much quicker and less of a mess. I am still trying to figure out why the hot liquor tank doesn't hat a tube to get all of the water out. I live in so cal, so water is a valuable commodity.

I do check this site once a day, so lets get the dialogue going, cause I don't do the faceplant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:33 am 
Hydrometer Jar

whamolagan wrote:
Good to know. I have not yet had the luxury of dealing with a stuck sparge...yet. So thanks for the heads up. I am having various other issues with the thing. Leaky sight glass, a bad gas valve, the computer doesn't beep to tell me about my hop additions and that stupid bleeder valve. That bleeder valve is a horrible design. For one there should never be any brass parts that come in contact with the wort. Brass when heated up, especially when the ph is low, leeches lead. That went into the scrap pile and replaced with a SS one.

A wet vac is a necessity and way worth the 50 bucks. makes clean up so much quicker and less of a mess. I am still trying to figure out why the hot liquor tank doesn't hat a tube to get all of the water out. I live in so cal, so water is a valuable commodity.

I do check this site once a day, so lets get the dialogue going, cause I don't do the faceplant

Howdy. I also had a leaky sightglass but easily fixed by tightening the clamp and adding a bit more silicone. I guess I am lucky on the gas valves with no issues.

Last edited by Goose on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:37 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

I am selling mine, done with the BS. Not happy at all with the lame excuses I get from them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:40 am 
Hydrometer Jar

whamolagan wrote:
I am selling mine, done with the BS. Not happy at all with the lame excuses I get from them.

Hey Whama. Very sorry to hear you have thrown in the towel.

Can you elaborate on your discussions with Sabco ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:00 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

The fact that they told me that they have never had a gas valve be bad, that is just arrogant. I am a plumber by trade and see valves bad right out of the bag. I had smelled propane from the gitgo, and found that the boil burner valve was leaking by. They did send me a new valve, and a $100 credit to my CC, but now I have to take the thing apart and try to match the paint so to keep it looking pretty and matching the rest of the system.

They also had no clue that the computer doesn't beep to let me know about the hop additions. I sent them a video, and low and behold, they tested their model and got the same garbled noise that you can't hear above the burner. That was a selling point for me, because when I get my shop up and running I wanted that feature. I know a lot of you out there don't use the onboard computer, but if you are gonna sell a product with that feature I feel it should work as advertised.

As shiny and nice looking as it is, if doesn't work to my satisfaction, it is of no use for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:58 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

hey whamo,

you certainly have some reasons to be angry, a leaking gas valve is not acceptable, and more importantly, unsafe. However being a plumber by trade at least you can fix it, even though you shouldn't have to. Most might say don't worry about the way it looks but how it works, but looks are important for resale value so I also see your point on this.

I must have an earlier version of the V350 as I do't believe mine makes any noise at all even if I wanted it to, but given they were able to repeat your problem on their system, did they suggest a solution ? Do you have the new wifi module ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:11 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

No solution to the problem. Yes I do have the WiFi module. I just cant' believe that they didn't test their own equipment.