Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:38 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Probably the slowest forum I have ever participated in

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:49 am 
Pint Glass

I'd like to think it does. Although this forum is not geared toward the noobie, or intermediate general topic brewer, but specifically to the Brew-Magic. Seems to me that brewers here have questions that are more directly related to issues, problems, and ideas to our system. Most first time brewing questions have for the most part, been addressed here, so that a new BM user can look them up and educated thyself before posting, although vistors on the site come from all over the world to read, and on occasion post their thoughts.

Unlike social media (ahem, Facebook) where you can't really search topics, thus folks repeat the same questions time and time again.

The cost of the Brew-Magic certainly plays a big role in that not every advanced brewer can justify buying, or afford one. This equates to a low user count.

I've decided against modifying the user settings enrolling everyone with an account to receive all emails, whether they subscribed to a post or not. It would be intrusive, and perhaps counter productive if folks receive emails and notifications about topics they aren't interested in.

It'll take some time to get traction going, and to build the wealth of information the old forum had before it died. I'm sure we'll get there eventually, brew on brothers and sisters!

Cheers,
Hooch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:41 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Thanks hooch. I know that there is not a lot of these machines out there. I came here because the facebook page is a pain in the ass.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:50 pm 
Pint Glass

whamolagan wrote:
I came here because the facebook page is a pain in the ass.

No doubt! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:13 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

I have read all the threads on here (didn't take long) and did pick up some tips. I would have to say the biggest problem I have is I always brewed in glass carboys and I liked the visual aspect. Now I feel like I am flying blind.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:58 pm 
Pint Glass

Ah I see. Did you pick up one of the SABCO fermentors? I still ferment in glass carboys. I was on the cusp of buying a Blichmann SS conical, but then I heard Jamil Zainasheff, went back to carboys after trying SS conicals. I figured if glass carboys are good enough for him, them they will be good enough for me. And, my fermenting fridge has room for 2 carboys but not 2 conicals . I like to experiment with brewing a 10gallon batch and splitting it into two carboys, with different yeasts.

I guess its all a matter of preference, and what we're comfortable with. What makes brewing so interesting, is that there are so many different ways to arrive at the same destination.

Cheers,
Hooch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:28 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Yeah I got 2 sabco fermenters, one for primary, and one to rack to. I also got 2 of their 15 gal kegs. Our first time we fermented in our glass, but I really wanted to get into the whole system. We will see. Our first brew is just now coming into it's own, but there is definitely some issues with it. In hindsight I probably should have stuck with a simple recipe instead of a red ale with 6 grains, 4 hop additions. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:08 pm 
Pint Glass

Yeah sorry. Things slowed down a bit and I forget to check...

A. Gratz on the Brew-Magic.
B. Sorry the first brew day was so rough.

It takes some time to master it properly so keep at it. I have a few tips and tricks at my blog if you are so inclined (however they maybe more relevant to older models).

accidentalis.com

Cheers, Matt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:13 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Thanks matt for getting back to me. Your blog is useful. I wish I had more time to give some input on some of the upgrades that I have added. I will try to post a pic of the filter and bleeder I grabbed from brewers hardware. I find priming the chill wizard kind of a pain in the a$$, and it seems to lose prime. Probably a bad seal. I have brewed 3 times on it so far and have produced drinkable beer, but not as good as with my cooler mash tun and 8 gallon kettles. The first 2 brews I did were red ales, and the 3rd is a cream ale. The first red went to a wedding (boy was I nervous about that), but alas 2 empty cornies and lots of praise, all the while I new it was off. It had a grainy taste to it, but I think that was to us freaking on the mash temp. Now I am drinking the 2nd red and it doesn't have that taste, and it is a much tastier beer.

I guess time and patience will solve my problems, and gain some confidence that I don't need to see fermentation happening.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:57 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

whamolagan wrote:
Thanks matt for getting back to me. Your blog is useful. I wish I had more time to give some input on some of the upgrades that I have added. I will try to post a pic of the filter and bleeder I grabbed from brewers hardware. I find priming the chill wizard kind of a pain in the a$$, and it seems to lose prime. Probably a bad seal. I have brewed 3 times on it so far and have produced drinkable beer, but not as good as with my cooler mash tun and 8 gallon kettles. The first 2 brews I did were red ales, and the 3rd is a cream ale. The first red went to a wedding (boy was I nervous about that), but alas 2 empty cornies and lots of praise, all the while I new it was off. It had a grainy taste to it, but I think that was to us freaking on the mash temp. Now I am drinking the 2nd red and it doesn't have that taste, and it is a much tastier beer.

I guess time and patience will solve my problems, and gain some confidence that I don't need to see fermentation happening.

wow its been so long I forgot my password

unfortunately this forum doesn't have yet a critical mass... the mass needed to cause one to check it regularly. I tried, but found I was talking to myself for the most!

Last edited by Goose on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.