Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New guy here
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:21 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Hi there, I am going to be receiving my BM next wednesday. I am glad I found this site because they told me that their discussion was on facebook (uhhhggg I won't facebook). I have been brewing for 7 years and am trying to open a nano brewery with my wife ( she creates the recipes, but more on that later). I am looking forward to wrapping my mind around this thing and cutting my brew day down significantly. I usually brew 10 - 15 gallons in a brew day, so you can imagine how long of a day that is. I will try to peruse this site in full before asking any dumb questions.

Post subject: Re: New guy here
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:49 pm 
Pint Glass

Hi whamolagan,

Welcome. There's good info on here, hopefully u find our forum helpful.

Cheers,
Hooch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:23 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

I finally got my brew magic. What a step up from kettles and glass carboys. Will be trying out the unit this weekend. So any tips?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey sorry for the late reply, how did it go? I remember my first couple of brews were a big learning experience to say the least.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:25 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

It was a disaster. That bleeder valve used to prime the chill wizard is a complete joke. Whoever thought that is a good idea needs his ass kicked. Hot wort all over the place? Burned my hand real bad. And brass? the ph in beer can leech lead. So I already redesigned that deal. Brewers hardware has all the stuff to do it out of stainless. My wife turned the kettle burner too high and burned the site glass.. So there is a lot of wrinkles to iron out. I was very frustrated at the fact the electric heater couldn't keep the temp up during recirc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:43 am 
Pint Glass

Sorry to read about your brew day whamolagan. I hope you're recovering both physically, and mentally from the disaster. I know it may be too late, but did you do a water run first? It doesn't guarantee that things will run smoothly, but it helps in understanding what the valves do in terms of flow, and the temp controls.

It's crazy, but I don't have a bleeder valve, and have never had a problem with priming the chill wizard. Based on your experience, I think I'll keep it that way.

Don't wait too long to get back on the saddle and ride again. Trust me, I was so frustrated in the beginning I nearly returned the damn thing.

Cheers :!:
Hooch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:47 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Thanks bud. I am not the quitting kind of guy. I found a better bleeder valve that sits on top of the filter I got from brewers hardware and it worked much better. We brewed again the following weekend doing the same recipe and it went much smoother. We are going to brew again this weekend, a cream ale, and I am sure it will only get better. Now to get the cleaning part down a little quicker and I would be a happy camper.