Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:56 pm 
Pint Glass

Are there topics folks want to discuss? or has everyone abdicated to the Facebook group?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:51 pm 
Pint Glass

I'd like to discuss, or see how everyone is fairing when brewing in these frigid temps?

With my garage getting into the low 30s, the heat exchanger isn't able to maintain mash temps adequately, and I have to have a low flame under the mash tun. Not too big a deal, but I surely would want the heat exchanger to do it on its own, as it was designed.

Bit of info: I run my system in a non-heated insulated garage on natural gas, manufacture date of 10/2008, with the original PLC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:28 pm 
Pint Glass

Well... I live in Texas and the worst has been a few hours below freezing. My apologies to those in the snowpocalypse of the past couple of months, and if you don't accept that - then Neener Neener.

That said - a good wind and the Brew-Magic turns into a really large heat sink. A moderate chilly breeze forces me to use a little flame to keep up mash temps. The software upgrade last year has helped a bit, but the curves really cannot compensate for heat loss.

A friend on another forum mentioned that he didn't realize the carbon monoxide dangers that are exacerbated in cold weather. - Please make sure you have enough ventilation and are using a CO detector in any moderately enclosed space!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:46 pm 
Pint Glass

Oh yeah, you can't really take that stuff for granted. My CO monitor has a digital read out, a fireman friend said to me that you shouldn't let it go above 70. The alarm sound may have a higher threshold, so keeping it safe in the brewhouse is the goal.

-Hooch

Sent using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:33 am 
Hydrometer Jar

How about the new software? I would like to hear some opinions. Is it worth the price?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:50 pm 
Pint Glass

cellardwellar wrote:
How about the new software? I would like to hear some opinions. Is it worth the price?

I think that is going to a question only you can answer. I posted here previously about it... http://brewmagiciansforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=49&sid=c70ea312f8ba3261d5a35edad85c0262

After brewing with it for about a year... I would still upgrade. The management of the mash temperatures is quite improved... and I spend a lot less time shuffling the gas on and off. The best feature allows me to program my mash schedules and repeat them very accurately... and it doesn't require the wireless features or anything - pretty straightforward.

After my thermocouple failed last month, I did upgrade to the new RTD which is on the newer models. Where the old thermocouple bounced around a few degrees, this thing is dead on compared to my ThermoPen. That upgrade did require me to send the PLC into Sabco - so was down about a week.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:55 am 
Hydrometer Jar

Thanks! I had read the thread & blog about about a month ago. It was a good review but had forgotten that it was your wright up.