Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:46 am 
Pint Glass

Happy to start new topics and keep the ball rolling. But don't want to dominate discussions.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:22 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

New to the forum. Just picked up a BM a couple of weeks ago. It is February 2014 model, lightly used. Very happy with the deal.

Brewed my first batch last weekend. Kept it simple, 5 gallon IPA. Went very smoothly.

Now the question. How long should it have taken to heat 12 gallons in the HLT? Starting water temp was 60, air temp a little warmer. Still took more than an hour. Thought I could split the water and use the MT, too, but system will not allow. Only one burner per time. Any suggestion?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:20 pm 
Pint Glass

The new system only allows one burner? I often run all three. It should support more - made for commercial purposes with concurrent mash and boils,

I also heat my strike water in the MLT and the Sparge liquor separately in the HLT. Both go full open, takes about 30-40 minutes from 70 to like 152. I ignore the heating too fast warning until I am mashing.

Matt Chrispen
Bastrop, Texas
Accidentalis.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:32 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Had a full tank of propane, but when I fired up a second burner, pressure basically halved. Any thoughts ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:04 pm 
Pint Glass

A couple of things come to mind.

Make sure you have the right regulator. I think (not positive) the system ships as low pressure propane. You might want to check with the person you purchased from. There are fittings for high-pressure I believe. Also - make sure it's not regulated for natural gas. You will want all new orifices in that case. You might be able to confirm the serial number with Sabco to ensure how it shipped.

A tip from my LP gas company is to very slowly open the valve on the tank. Mine sticks, so I open as slowly as possible, slowly close it and reopen up slowly before turning on the system and enabling gas on the computer.. There is something in the tank valve that will set the pressure outlet lower or stop it all together when opened quickly.

If the burners are not burning strong or showing a lot of soot - I would suggest taking a strong air compressor to them and blow out any soot. Then re-adjust the vents so that on partial to full open you get the pure blue flames.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:59 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Thanks, I'll let you know what I find.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:07 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Think turning on the tank slowly sends to do the trick. That being said, did not get to run a batch. I'll post when I get another batch going.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:53 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Hello and thanks for continuing new topics. I had a similar issue with my burners only producing a low flame. I tinkered with the regulator and swamped out tanks but still it wouldn't produce a strong flame. Eventually I figured out that if I turn the gas in at the tank a few minutes prior to enabling the gas on the BM the pressure build up seems to open the valve and I've never had an issue since. Maybe it's a bush fix but it's worked for me this far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:24 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Just a follow-up. Definitely a tank issue. Next brew went good after I played with the tank opening slowly, fast, part way, all the way, etc. Got it figured out for this tank, when I swap it out I'm sure it will be another guessing game. Thanks for the input.

I'll start the next topic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:34 am 
Hydrometer Jar

Please do sir