Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:39 pm 
Pint Glass

This seems to be of great debate. I have had some fantastic IPAs that are not terribly new, but I have not had much homebrew IPA that stands up to storage. There is that sweet spot risk that we play with risking too soon (harsh), and too late (malty/musty nose). I am thinking that 'just right might be 4 -5 weeks after it is brewed. 2 weeks for fermentation and clean up (got to get that yeast away from the hops), then a double dip of dry hops for 3 then 4 days, leaving a week for conditioning. Obviously, I think I could do better or I would not put it out there.

What do you guys do?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:24 am 
Hydrometer Jar

Agreed, after bottling the stuff need to be drank quick!

I tend to keep my bulk IPA in a cleaned out fermenter, then when I think that I am going to run out of the stuff to drink, I will transfer some to a keg and dry-hop for about 4 days. Then I bottle. (dont have a draft system yet)...

I haven't had any problems with my IPA being stored this way and slowly dispensing it out over 6 months with fresh hops keeps the wife happy!

http://www.brewingmagnumopus.com - blog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:51 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

If I have IPA on the shelf bottle-conditioning, I've found that I need to get those in the fridge somewhere in the 6-8 week range (from brew day), or they start to get funky real fast, musty tasting like you said. In my opinion, after bottle-conditioning there isn't much reason to keep the beer at room temp. Maybe with some styles it works well to let them sit at 65-70 for a long time, but I've poured out a lot of 3 month-old IPA's because they were disgusting.