Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Vienna Malt
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:37 pm 
Pint Glass

The HB Shop got something they are calling Super Vienna. Apparently wicked red. I have only used Vienna to add malt and mouth feel to things like Porter and Stouts. I have never brewed a Bock, but that is a logical landing for it. In reading this article it would seem like a big red IPA would be possible where Vienna could be 90%.

Here is the thing, we need to buy a sack to experiment. Any idea?

Post subject: Re: Super Vienna Malt
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:43 am 
Pint Glass

I wonder if this is a response to the release of RedX malt that is starting to show in some commercial beers... apparently a fairly bright red extract and can self convert. There have been some discussions over on AHA forum about RedX. Who is the malster for this super Vienna?

Shame you are not closer, I would split a bag.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:48 am 
Pint Glass

I do not currently know who the maltster is. I asked my pal who is dogging down the sack. I am curious about the SRM. I am thinking about a few brews to use it.

1. Bee Smoke, which is a braggot concept that ferments on Cal Common yeast. 1# Honey Malt, 5# Vienna, and 4# honey. I am thinking summer sipper similar to a pilsner (hopped to that profile)

2. Add some to a Helles|German Pils

3. Vienna Lager at ~100%

4. Stickles Alt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:11 pm 
Pint Glass

Turns out that it is RedX. the SRM is a lot darker then I was thinking 11 - 13 V. 5-7. It will be fun to play with. Any comments on the concepts?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:00 pm 
Pint Glass

Haven't tried it yet, but understand the flavor is closer to Munich, so plan for a malty bomb. Love the ideas, especially the braggot. I was thinking a 20% redX 80% MO would make a fun barleywine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:45 pm 
Pint Glass

finally got my hands on this and made 15G of beer. I went with the Bee Smoke and an Alt to play with.

5G of Bee smoke is the braggot with 5# RedX, 1# Honey Malt, 5# Honey, .75 oz of Magnum, and 2 oz Saaz currently being shredded by Cal common Yeast.

The 10G of Alt is 10# RedX, 10# Pils, 2 oz magnum, finished with 3 oz of Hersbrucker cranking away with German Ale yeast.

- 5G is just to drink.
- 2.5G becomes Walt - a wood infused version likely using oak cubes soaked in bourbon.
- 2.5G becoming ALTered - a soured version likely using either some Lost Abbey cultured wild yeast, or something dredged out of a NOVA home brew or DC Sour Barrel bottle and grown up some.

the sad thing with the three way is that these will not ever likely exist at the same moment, so I cannot really compare what happens with the tricks start.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:40 am 
Pint Glass

I decided that I just did not have the time to mentor the side projects, so I kegged all the alt. I will serve it to Parents of Trick-or-Treaters. I want to keep the pipeline moving, besides I have at least 35 gallons of soured beer sitting about.

that said, bit brews were very good when I transferred them. I am looking forward to the carbonated versions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:18 am 
Pint Glass

How was the color? From what I heard it is very red... where Vienna tends more toward a brown color. Any issues in the mash?

That Braggot sounds pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:00 pm 
Pint Glass

I need to see it in a proper glass. In the taster it was copper, so I bet red when it is in something more substantial.