Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Sour Ale book
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:38 pm 
Pint Glass

I show up in the acknowledgements. Michael is one of the core members of the now defunct DC Sour Barrel Group. As soon as we empty the English Style Barley Wine/Old Ale in a "fresh" bourbon barrel finished with Brett and our Belgian Golden in our wine barrel hit with (now countless pounds of) honey for a Belgian wine barrel sour braggot, we are done. The barrel host did something stupid and opened Right Proper brewing Co in DC's Shaw.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:38 pm 
Pint Glass

Hey congrats.

I have been exchanging emails with Mike for about a year, and has been incredibly generous with his advice and encouragement. The book arrived yesterday, but I am out of town on business and will be reading it on my way to Belgium and the UK for a beer-focused trip!

I now have 5, 15 and 53 gallon whiskey barrels and trying to setup the planning to different aging and souring programs for each. Not sure I am up to filling that 53 gallon barrel by myself, but will see.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:33 pm 
Pint Glass

Mike and Nate are good guys. All the guys on the team are. We all brought different skills to the mix and it has worked out well. At least one board member here has had some of the results.

WRT the 53G you need some friends. That is a lot of beer to both make and consume.

I have also taken the lead on some local HBC barrels specifying the recipes, helping with the bugs, and offering general guidance. I have tried to take a back seat so others can learn and I can consult. Happy to share anything I know with everyone. I am very curious to read the book to see how much of it relates to our group brew experience. Mike has done a lot on his own and several projects with Nathan.

So ask and I will try to answer.