Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:29 pm 
Taster

Sure, this was a very easy job. It's about 80% preparation, 20% installation. Prep is key for a clean bonding surface. Check-out their website and watch the video.

Did you do this yourself or have it done professionally
Myself

How many days did it take?
Applied this over an existing painted floor. Spent a couple hours cleaning with soap/water and light sanding with a pole sander. If your existing paint is flaking and not bonding then it must be removed. If I were putting this in a garage that had paint, I would remove it regardless. Non-coated concrete will need to be acid washed and triple rinsed. I got to skip this step.
About 2.5 hours to apply including taping-off, prep and cleanup. Light foot traffic in 24hrs. dry time, full cure 2-3 days. I did the 3 days before wheeling in the BM, because I easily could. But I would feel comfortable in 36hrs.

What size area did you do?
244 sq. ft., each kit does 250. They have double kits, triple etc. What is cool is this stuff is applied with a squeegee, then back rolled twice. 100% epoxy, so you can apply a 500 sq. ft. kit to a 200 sq. ft. area for a really thick, tuff coating. Like if you brew and and jack-up cars in the same garage.

Cost?
250 sq. ft. kit is $179 on their website, but Lowes does ship to store for $144. But, the kit comes with everything you need except a pole for the squeegee, and a scrub brush if you need to acid prep. I mean everything, coating, flakes, aluminum oxide non-slip grit, acid wash, squeegee, roller, brush, gloves, even the darn bucket. But I would recommend getting and extra roller (same nap) for each kit. My roller stiffened a little when I rolled the 2nd section, making the finish slightly different from the 1st. But it's hardly noticeable.

How bad was the odor?
Very low, nothing foul or irritable at all.

How long before you could potentially brew again?
72hrs, full cure

Can you see if there is spilled water on the floor?
In my brewery, not really. A garage with the door open would be better, but the gloss of the epoxy does hide water.

Is it slippery when wet?
Not bad at all with the flakes applied. I put extra flakes around the sink just to be safe. Similar to wet linoleum. I did not use the included oxcide grit. It's about the consistency of sand and you could sprinkle a little or a lot. If I ever do this in my garage, I would apply maybe a little around the areas where you step to get out of the car, or rinse keggles. Only downside to using the grit is the floor will not be as easy to clean with a mop, meaning some light scrubbing required.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

All I can say is that I am totally impressed.
Well done Scratchy.
Well done.