Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:48 am 
Taster

Here is my current setup. Moved into a larger house about 18 months ago, and one of the top priorities was to buy a BM and get it setup indoors. Most of the research time was spent on ventilation and trying to find a used SS Hood that was the right size. Well, found it impossible to find a used hood that fit my needs, and a new one was $1500. So, took an idea from the electricbrewery.com and made one from foil backed insulation boards in order to test the concept. Works very well, still get some humidity and hop smell, but not much. At only $50, I plan to build another with longer sides and back to catch all the vapors. Eventually, would like to build a custom SS hood with lighting.

Found a large 3-bowl sink from a pizza shop that closed. This took some time to find, since I wanted one where the bowls were large to accommodate the keggles, and has large drain boards on each side. Makes it easy to clean the vessels and then invert them on the boards to dry. Finally, bought a new SS table with casters form a restaurant supply store. Now, I can wheel the table out of the way, wheel the BM over to the sink to wash-out the keggles, suck it out with the shop-vac and start the next batch.

I did convert my BM to natural gas, and have never had any CO2 readings detected while brewing. It is so nice not having to fetch propane or worried if there is enough in my tank for one more batch. If you have natural gas at your home, it would be well worth it to install an outdoor valve and convert your BM.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:48 pm 
Pint Glass

That's a sweet setup Scratchy. It allows you to brew year-round and no matter the weather.

Cheers,
Hooch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:05 am 

NICE!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:14 pm 

That is great!!! I wish that I had room in my basement to put mine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:58 pm 
Taster

Thanks, I love it. Nice to have everything close and not have to setup. However, I still miss brewing outside on nice days. Wish I had a walk-out basement, I could wheel the BM right out the back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:20 am 
Hydrometer Jar

Very nice setup I love the stainless steel sink and table very cool!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:27 pm 

This is awesome and exactly what I'd like to do. I live in Milwaukee and brew in my un-insulated, un-heated detached garage, so once the snow flies, I'm generally done brewing until the spring. I did brew a couple times this winter, but it had all the suckiness I assumed it would have brewing in the freezing cold, having to run a hose from my basement for chilling water, etc, etc.

Any specifics you can share about that hood would be appreciated. Part numbers and where you sourced the blower motor from, any and all information. That would be great!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:12 pm 
Taster

The blower is a Fantech FG6XL, purchased from Home Source. It uses 6" duct. I hard wired it to its own breaker and wired to a Fantech speed controller.

The hood is made from 1" thick Super Tuff foam board that came foil lined. I cut the pieces with a utility knife, glued them together with Foam Board Adhesive, then used thick foil tape to reinforce all the joints and to cover all exposed foam. Hood demensions are 7' long by 4' wide and 18" tall. However, I would like to build another and make the sides taller. Basically, I would have the back and two sides come all the way down to about an inch above the keggles, but leave the front at 18". I believe this will be slighty more effective capturing steam. Keep in mind this foam is flammable, but my hood never gets warm or collects any condensation at all. Even when water is boiling in all 3 keggles.

The sink came from a closed pizza shop in Toledo. Took forever to find one with the big bowls. Table and epoxy-coated shelf unit came from a local restaurant supply store. But, if you search your local restaurant auctions, you can find these used.

Kegerator was new from Beermeister, its their 3 tap homebrew model.

My total budget was $10K, which included the cost of the BM, Chill Wizard, Blichmann conical, and upright freezer, which were all new.

Very happy so far. Eventually we want to finish the basement, so the brewery will get some walls. At that point I would like to add a drop ceiling, better lighting, and epoxy coat the floor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:04 pm 
Taster

I finally put the epoxy floor down. Went with http://www.epoxy-coat.com and I am very pleased with the results. Definitely a high quality coating compared to what I have seen on the store shelves locally.

Brewed 10 gal. Irish Red Recipe from HBT. Also, brewed my first lager, 10 gal. of Pilsner. We have not brewed since July, so I was super-pumped.

Planning to to try and max out the BM mash tun next month with my Hopslam Clone. However, 10 gallons would be 40 lbs. of grain and over a pound of hops in the kettle, so thinking maybe a 7.5 gallon batch may be better (I have only brewed 5 gal. previously).

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:17 am 
Pint Glass

Nice work on the floors Scratchy, it makes the room brighter, easier to see.

I have a few questions, because I too am entertaining doing this in the garage, ahem my brewhouse ;)
Did you do this yourself or have it done professionally?
How many days did it take?
What size area did you do?
Cost?
How bad was the odor?
How long before you could potentially brew again?
Can you see if there is spilled water on the floor?
Is it slippery when wet?

Thanks dood,
Hooch