Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:51 pm 

So I'm formulating an Imperial IPA recipe. I plan to add a whole lotta hops. I typically use pellets in most of my beers and I only use hop bags if I'm using an unusually large amount of hops, and then only for certain additions.

In this Imperial IPA I'm building a 12 gallon recipe as I expect to lose more wort than normal due to all the hops. I'm going to be using Mosaic hops, Galaxy and Amarillo. The Mosaic hops are whole leaf. I'm also going to try the hop stand technique described in the most recent issue of Zymurgy.

Anyhow, lets say I have 3/4 to a pound of hops in the kettle at the end of the boil and more than half of that is whole leaf hops. Has anyone done something like this? I'm wondering if I should expect to have problems running off my wort? Will the dip tube clog do you think? I only use the stock bazooka screen in my BM. Should I use hop bags with the whole leaf additions? Any other thoughts/suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:34 pm 

The whole hops should not pose a problem as they act themselves as a filter bed. They will help filter the pellet hops that turn to mush. My boil kettel contains a 10" flat perforated ss plate ( much like the sabco false bottom ). with this setup I have brewed numerous times with over 12oz of all pellet hops and never cloged the dip tube. I have always wanted to get another sabco false bottom for my boil kettel but I have never had issues with my current setup. As for the bazzoka screen, I have never had much luck with wort runoff using even modest amounts of hops. Using a false bottom in the boil kettel would allow for recipes containing large amounts of hops.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:04 pm 
Taster

My BM came with a false bottom for the BK. No issues using whole hops. Pellets tend to gunk-up the Chill Wizard so I use bags. However, really thinking about getting a hop spider from Stainless Brewing (http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Hop-Str ... p_123.html) or build something similar, just to use with pellets. Thinking I would see greater utilization and not have to worry about bags breaking anymore.

I did brew a Porter a few months back and realized halfway through the boil that my false bottom was not installed. Took about 45 min. to get 2 gallons out of the kettle. Finally, I had to dump half the batch since the next batch had already mashed for 90min. Not fun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:31 am 
Hydrometer Jar

I use a homemade hop spider on my BM system and it works great,for the filter bags I use five gallon paint strainer bag from the store I work at-- cost about a dollar apiece and are 600 micron-- helps a lot.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I run a system that is two plate chillers in-line. (One was never enough)
The initial one with ground water, the second has ice water running through it.

In order to avoid the hops getting stuck in the chillers I picked up a Hop Rocket from Blichmann. (It's a hop-back)
It naturally filters out the majority of the pellets prior to going through the plate chillers.

I don't worry about how much hops are in the kettle as the Hop Rocket takes care of it.

I whirlpool for 20-30 minutes, post boil, prior to transfering to the conical which allows nearly all the hops to settle in a nice cone at the bottom of the kettle.
Then I turn on the pump and run the clear wort through the Hop Rocket.
It takes me 6-7 minutes to transfer 11 gallons of clear wort to the conical with two plate chillers.
It is only at the end of the transfer that any hops go through there anyway.

So there are two advantages:
1) Run hot wort through a filter of fresh hops, take the oils out of the fresh hops with the hot wort & flash chill that wort, keeping the hop oils in the wort.
2) Clean wort in the fermenter.

It does add a measure of bitterness, but I account for it in my over-all hop bill.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:00 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

I use the "brew in a bag" and paint-strainer style fine-mesh bags in my boil, no mess no stress!