Brew Magicians Forum - BMF

A forum for Brew Magic users and those who love them. This forum is not affiliated with SABCO.
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a reboot recipe
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:15 am 
Pint Glass

I have been off the horse far too long. I am sure it is easy to get right back on, but I would like to solicit ideas for a quick hit, spring recipe. Keep the wheat beers, it is not something I ever drink much of, but other ideas are welcome.

Post subject: Re: Need a reboot recipe
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:50 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

I know you posted this a month ago but here's a really basic pale ale recipe I use. When I think spring I think mostly lighter, citrusy ales.

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
8.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min

Mash @152F for 90 min, boil for 60 min.

A few other things you can do with this recipe:
- Throw some orange, lemon and lime zest into the boil in the last 5 min
- Substitute Simcoe with Mosaic hops or dry-hop with Mosaic. I just started using Mosaic hops and I really like them. They have a very floral, citrusy aroma and they finish very clean. I use them in my IPA's and they really cut down on the hop "bite" while still having a lot of hop aroma.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:35 pm 
Pint Glass

I decided to go with something slightly more complex. Doing a 31# English BWine double mash that takes on some sugar in the boil as well to sit me between 1.1 and 1.105 SG. The first mash gets split out to a Robust Porter that sees Blackstrap in the boil, and an American ESB from the second mash that has a pound of turbano in the wings just in case (plus a whole bunch of hops). Capping is your typical running malts of Carmel/Crystal with color malts for end of the recirculation (brown/light choc/black patent)

I guess after 23 years of brewing I feel like I can get back on the horse pretty easily. Or I am about to waste a whole lot of money. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:59 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Yeah, I waayyy underestimated what you were looking for, my bad. I've never done a barleywine, sounds interesting. Although my personal preference for beer really ends before even scotch ales begin so it suffices to say that you're going far into the deep-end from my perspective. I'm guessing anyone who brews for 23 years and is putting together barleywine recipes probably doesn't need any procedural advice from me... so, good luck and have fun!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:08 pm 
Pint Glass

I should be doing a Belgian single or an APA or the like, but why not step up. You were right where I should be, but I need to get that Christmas beer moving, besides playing the partigyle game is always a challenge. Plenty of math in the mix.

So your suggestion is right on the mark.

What style do you like? Obviously a PA is in your field of view. Do you stick around the 5% level? I have had a great time making sub-5 beers that I actually want to drink.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:39 pm 
Hydrometer Jar

Yeah mostly pale ales, 5-6%. I'm doing a 10 gallon amber and 10 gallon IPA this weekend. I have a stout and a brown ale on tap to mix it up but if I'm just kickin it with friends/family for a long weekend I'm prob going with an IPA, or 6, so that's what I mostly brew.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:00 pm 
Pint Glass

The deed is done. Came in high on the barley wine 26B, high on the ESB 14B, and slightly low on the Black Strap Porter 13.8B. I am trying to dial in the Partigyle. I am not sure why because I cannot drink all that. TI was pretty cool that one was already fermenting when the other two finished. I could only pull that off because I double mashed.

I do not necessarily have a brewing map. I have done 10 -12 barrel projects, all but one have been sours (I get a credit, or so I am told, in the new AHA sour book), plenty of IPAs with a screen name like hopmonster, but have played with trying to notch low ABV beer that people want to drink (session IPA, Belgian Singles, etc.).

Glad this one is in the book and I am back in action.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:32 am 
Pint Glass

To follow up, this three ring circus was a bridge too far. The secondary beers were over extracted and are extremely tannic. That is a product of having two mashes and a boil, minimum, going on at the same time after the initial mash. At one point it was two boils and a mash. The BWine gets a taste soon so hopefully it is not unpleasant indicating a flow in general in my process. The Porter and ESB are undrinkable and maybe the worst beers I ever made since I was a rookie and did not know better. Good lesson to learn however. Most interestingly this was not an issue when I bottled, or it was imperceptible in small quantity. I did bottle because it is a bath I intended to split with a friend.